The Association of Electronic Press launched on January 1, 2007 the “Monitoring the implementation of the Audiovisual Code” project. Through this monitoring project, APEL aims to establish a public control mechanism on how the new audiovisual legislation in the Republic of Moldova is applied.
- monitoring compliance with national legislation and the recommendations of the Council of Europe of the establishment of the Coordinating Council of the Audiovisual (CCA), the Council of Observers (CO) of Teleradio-Moldova company (TRM) and the administrative bodies of the TRM;
- monitoring the activity of CCA, CO of TRM, administration od TRM;
- selective analysis of TRM programs (case studies);
- the analysis of the phenomena in the field and the evaluation of the changes in the audiovisual segment following the application of the provisions of the new legislation;
- sensitizing public opinion on possible deviations from the provisions of the Audiovisual Code and the Council of Europe recommendations.
The project implementation team is made up of representatives of the university environment, media and human rights NGOs, lawyers and professionals from the audiovisual sector, etc. The experts will monitor the practical application of the provisions of the Audiovisual Code, including:
- the constitution process and the activity of the authorities formed in accordance with the provisions of the Audiovisual Code (CCA, the supervisory and administrative bodies of TRM);
- compliance with the legislative provisions by the authorities formed on the basis of the new legislation as well as by the audiovisual institutions;
- ensuring democratic, transparent procedures, corresponding to national legislation and EC recommendations, in the establishment of the CCA, CO of TRM and the administrative bodies of IPNA;
- improving the conditions of activity of audiovisual institutions;
- improving the content of TRM’s program service offered to the public;
- slowing down in the national practice of monitoring law enforcement as an effective form of public control over public institutions;
- increasing the degree of social awareness by periodically raising awareness of the public opinion on the problems identified by the monitoring team.
- Monitoring results, analysis of qualitative and quantitative indices, any other information about how the project is implemented, will be published on the Association’s website: www.apel.md. The first case study within the project will focus on the reorganization of public audiovisual institutions in the municipality of Chisinau in accordance with the provisions of the Audiovisual Code.
APEL announces its willingness to cooperate with the audiovisual institutions and the authorities formed in accordance with the provisions of the new legislation in order to establish the democratic principles of the functioning of the audiovisual in the Republic of Moldova.
The project “Monitoring the implementation of the Audiovisual Code” is carried out by APEL with the support of the Soros Moldova foundation.